Monday, July 15, 2013

Dreams



I recently started writing a list of things I would love to do. One day. There are so many things I enjoy doing, or would like to do. There are things I simply can’t make happen, or need other specific people to come along to help bring a dream to a reality, and while I would love to do everything Right Now, it’s simply not possible. It’s taken a while to settle into that, and another while to learn what to say yes, or no to, or not right now, while leaving space for God to have His way in my life, in and through me, and His promises.

There can be such a tension between what is good, and what is right, because it’s all great stuff, but that doesn’t make it the right thing for me to do right now, which can be a real struggle, when some things are ‘seen’ to be more worthwhile, or others deem worthy.

I do a job now which gives security, while enabling me to work with people I love, gives an international feel and flavor to life, in a group of people who wouldn’t normally come into contact with Christians. At the same time, it’s not the busiest job I have had in the world, but it enables me the headspace to do all sorts of crazy things outside of work. And there’s a lot of fun crazy things, which makes life interesting and diverse, and I’m really enjoying it.

It often makes me wonder though about what is a good thing for me to be doing, and what’s the right thing, and agreeing to do something, based on what I know now, vs information that might become available at the very next corner, or conversation.

I have a hunch that we all have a vision, mandate, or invocation. I love what Bob Goff says about it….. ‘Make all of the things you believe your invocation and all of the things you do about it your benediction’.

As we live life faithfully, even if we can’t articulate our mandate of living, it seems that if we are faithful with the little things, and obedient to God’s call on our life, even if it doesn’t make sense, it seems to come clear.

And while I can’t live out every single one of my dreams here and now, all at once, it seems that they grow, and in their time they will happen, and will find an opportunity and place within God’s plan. So, I can keep the list, look back at the cool things that have indeed happened, and look forward to what is to come.


When Jesus is your Lord; nothing is secular, everything is sacred (Nicky Gumbel). We can walk in wonder at all God has for us, giving it all back, for it’s all sacred decisions and sacred living.

No comments: