Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Telling our Stories

 

I am writing a talk for church at the moment which has got me thinking about pretty much everything in and around the topic related to it. There’s a lot of brainstorming and praying, a bit of attempted chatting to anyone close by who might be open to listening and helpful feedback. I need a couple of weeks just to sit and dream, write and document all the things that are to come this year, or might be able to come. So many possibilities and opportunities. Last year was a real year in practically processing what do I want and where am I going in my life, in a way that I have never had to before. It was hard, heartbreaking in new breaking ways that cracked and broke me in ways that had never been broken before, but also it seems I have been put back together in a whole new way that I never would have imagined. It’s just the beginning, but there’s lots of hope and I have a whole lot of new faith and trust in how God has made me, God and those around me to see life with a fresh perspective. I am immeasurably grateful. 

 

So. While I continue to have endless questions, not enough time, headspace, few answers, or well, other opportunities that I am thoroughly enjoying doing, this year has started with some of my favourites and I am hopeful, and open handed with how God will shape the year. It’s going be fun.

As I have been brainstorming for the talk, something we have been asked specifically to share is stories. But stories of ourselves, well, for me anyway, always involve others and aren’t lived in isolation. There’s usually someone else involved. In my work confidentiality is a big thing. We are asked to protect identities and ensure that the people we are caring for are indeed cared for and respected in their journey wherever they are at. Previous study set the tone as well, so I am quite careful where I use my training, inside and outside of work. My story then, seems to disappear into how it bumps up against the lives and stories of others, so mine becomes more about theirs, when push comes to shove. So, I am having fun discovering stories that I can share that would be helpful both here and as I share in the talk I am giving. Learning what that might look like is a new thing, and funny to see how some things are helping with that process. For example, at our home group, it is now the norm to have an icebreaker- a fun question that everyone needs to answer. I can usually find something to share, but it’s not till about halfway through the night when I remember a truly good answer. The most recent was ‘what was your most awkward moment?’ I came up with one, but it wasn’t till halfway through the evening when I remembered one of my most awkward moments, almost of my life had happened earlier last year. Talk about blocking it out! Fortunately God stories don’t really have the same parameters in many ways (some ways, but not all!), and God is gentle and gracious in how he cares for us and lives our stories in and through us.

 

So I know what I am going to talk about, and am slowing digging up some moments from life that will hopefully be helpful to all who hear. And will see what this year starts to look like in all it’s people, stories and goodness.

 

No comments: