Sunday, June 15, 2008

In person

I had a wonderful day today with my sister, her husband and two children (and my brother too)! Having just returned to Sydney after a very long absence, I have only just met my younger niece who is now over 9 months old, so there is alot of catching up to do!!

I was holding her at one stage during the afternoon and stopped at one point in wonder of that moment. It can't happen long distance, over a skype call, or regular phone call. I haven't been able to see her in a normal context and really got to know her properly myself till now, and even then, I am just at the beginning. Albeit, I have heard loads about her, her gorgeous charm, personality, smiles, who she looks and acts like, how different she is to her sister.... but the stories and recommendations, even the baby talk, and giggles on the phone have not been the same as person to person contact.. of "being there", on hand and in person.

Many thoughts came together as I enjoyed this moment today- of people I like to see, in person who are spread around the world, of people I would like to support better- yet can't be in the same place as them for whatever reason, and then brought to mind a conversation I had recently of what our relationship should be with God. The jist was that we should be glorifying God in all we do, or celebrating him....but isn't our relationship with God too, about being there, in person, of being relationship, inviting Him in and giving our daily lives to him, in the big and the little- that it's not "out there" and and abstract concept, but tangible and lived in a relating way, like other significant people who we want, and choose to spend time with, in person...

So, for now, I will enjoy spending proper time with my nieces, and other friends and family in Sydney- I so wish I could hang out with everyone "now" and not have any other responsibilities... some time..!:)

No comments: