Sunday, September 20, 2009

Do you want to be well?

I have been pondering this question over the last few weeks in the context of college and a course I did recently. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is a much bigger question than I can fathom. It encompasses every choice I make- as I choose the healing and new life, rather than the whole way of doing things, of where I live, go to church, what I do for my birthday this year. It covers how I see myself, my fears, and how I perceive others and life around me- not to mention what I choose to feel, say, and act.

I want so much more of God’s presence in my life and get little tastes of it every so often, that leaves me wanting more, and yet, my life is what it is, here now. It leaves me wondering if it is just a season, and eventually the doors will open up for new things soon, and for now I just need to be faithful with what I have and savor them as a gift given till new doors open… or I just go ahead and take a great leap?!:)

Anyway, I have been reading and thinking through the question “do you want to get well?” that Jesus asked the man at the Pool of Bethesda. It’s an amazing passage on so many levels. But the question of being well- of course anyone would choose that, right? But the old way is known and familiar, safe in its expectations, and roles in society. To be well is an incredible gift, and yet holds so many connotations, expectations, new identity and tasks- no small thing- especially for someone who had been an invalid for 38 years! And yet- do we want to be well? When it has been given to us, how do we walk it out? I find it’s easy when it isn’t challenged, and when I am feeling fine and have the emotional resources to rise up to challenges, but it’s when unexpected turns occur, and things happen that challenge our healing and new found identity, when we are removed from the situation where it first happened… that’s where we have to choose healing, choose life, choose God’s perspective. Jesus says he has come that we might have life, and have it to the full, so once again, I choose life!

No comments: