Monday, July 20, 2009

Making things happen

Ok, this is something I have been thinking around for quite a while now, not really spending too much time thinking on specifically, but just…. On the edges!

When do we wait for God to open the doors to make things happen… and when do we have to go ahead, get stuck into life and help things along??

Abraham and Sarah, for example. God made a promise to Abram, saying that his descendants would be more than the stars in the sky, yet they took things into their own hands, pre-empting God’s plans.

Ruth was very courageous as she put herself in the way of Boaz, which in turn was blessed.

When given the talents, the servants were given the opportunity to take initiative, and were praised accordingly.
I sometimes wonder if I am trying to pre-empt God’s plans. I see where God has made promises in my life, and they haven’t come to pass yet. Do I get courageous like Ruth did in different circumstances, or wait? Or do I take hold of the gifts and talents God has given me, and use them for his Glory? Often I think I am more than a little like the servant that hid his talent, thus squandering it out of fear. Scary thought, and yet…

So, much more to think on, but am glad God’s plans can be trusted, and that we can trust that God has given us tools to use for a reason, and we can use them wisely, but confidently, trusting God at work within each of us!

No comments: