Tuesday, August 29, 2006

My Big Amazing Greek Family

Yesterday I became truly and genuinely proud of my family heritage! My family is Greek, well one side, that is. You wouldn’t be able to tell by looking at me I don’t think, but there you have it. Try and imagine what my relatives are like, and I would say that they are “more Greek than the Greeks” with the familiar example being the family in the movie, My Big fat Greek Wedding!

I went out with some relatives who were in town yesterday. It was so lovely to see them, though I don’t really know them at all well, but they were known, and family, and very much like home in many ways. It was just lovely to be there sitting chatting with them.

The wonderful part though, came when one of them was saying that the University in Beijing had started teaching Greek as one of the language subjects, because, she said, as you know, Greek is the root of most languages…and the American constitution was one vote shy of being written in Greek! And so it went on.

As you may know from the movie, that’s one of running amusements of the movie, and here it was in reality, in MY family!

I was so blessed by that, that this is my family, in all it’s diversity and variety! How great is our God who has created all things in perfect fullness, and creativity and diversity beyond our wildest imagination, and that this family, which in many ways, I feel so removed from, is as much my family as any relative ever could be!

What an awesome gift!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post, Maria! What a cool thing it is to get to know your relatives, near and far.

'Look to the Rock from which you were cut'... in both senses! :)