Sunday, February 25, 2007

Being "home".

Last night I went out for an awesome dinner and conversation with a quality friend, then returned home to find my brother watching an episode of West Wing(my favorite tv show!) it was an episode that I had seen recently so I kept on going, to find Dad watching "ransom" and "speed", so settled in for some good drama as we watched both in tandem, skipping the ads as we went!

It was a great normal kinda evening for here, and very settled, but there seems to come a time when a moment happens and you know it's time to move on, to return to normal life whereever that is. That for me came this afternoon, and while just a moment, was clear and definite. Does anyone else who lives away from 'home' have those moments? I would love to know!

I have lived overseas for 6 years now in total, and I often wonder how long it takes before you can't forseeably return to your home country, because you feel more at home somewhere else? Maybe it just depends on who you are, and the relationships you have been able to maintain during that time.

The first 2 years I lived away overseas I had to start over in terms of friends and life in general- it was back in the days before email(the darks ages!) and I had become a Christian. My life had emtirely changed and it had been hard work keeping up with everyone. I wonder what would happen if I ever did come back here, what work would I do, where would I live, what about friends, and relationships with them and family in general? Are we all destined to grow apart and move on, seeing each other at 'respectable' intervals? I find reverse culture shock the hardest to deal with, and I guess I am just pondering, if God ever did call me back, how would it be, and if God didn't call me back....how would it be?

No conclusions yet, but random ponderings from someone who is about to leave again... It's nice to know I am going back to a place where I know it's right for me to be though!

No comments: