Thursday, February 08, 2007

Surf

In Hong Kong, or maybe it's Australians everywhere who live outside Australia....

Anyway, we tend to hold up Australian beaches and all it encompasses as the ultimate beach experience, and while others might be good, or great, there are none other quite like a good Australian beach!

I have just been to Maroubra beach with my brother this morning- a typical Aussie surf beach, and wow, was it a surf! I used to often wonder at the tourists who got in trouble when they went swimming, and I know why now. It's dangerous out there!

For starters, it was freezing, even at this time of year, we dove in, and after the initial shock, headed out. It's getting past the breakers and back in that always gets me! Anyway, I was only mostly dumped on the way back into the beach, but yes, it was worth it I think!

It's been at least 2 years since I have been swimming in the surf, and yes, while exhausting and terrifying, it was awesome!

1 comment:

pip said...

So true!
I can't think of anything as wonderfully scary as the first swim/ surf/ bodyboarding session in big surf after being away from it for a couple of years.
Glad you enjoyed it!