Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Big Ben!

There are so many things I love about being in London, but one is seeing Big Ben! It always reminds me of the story of Peter Pan, one of my favourite London-based books, and since then, a favourite movie… depending on if it’s the Disney version, or any of the other ones that have been made.

I love that idea of the boy who didn’t want to grow up, and while there are times that I see adults who want to remain childlike in a way that’s not helpful, there is definitely a context that we are all called to be children, to come into God’s presence like children, open, aware, trusting of our Heavenly Father.

So when I see Big Ben, I am reminded of the scene in Disney’s Peter Pan, when Peter descends on London ready for fun, adventure, and new discoveries, and likewise endeavour to look ahead with that perspective too!

Matthew 11: 25-26
At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.

Matthew 18: 2-4
He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

No comments: