Sunday, December 14, 2008

Newsletter cut'n'pasted!

Well, have FINALLY sent out a newsletter, but thought I would put it here for those who don't get it... so, happy reading! Oh, if you don't get it and would like to, let me know:)

Hi all,

Well, for some time I have known it really was time for a newsletter, yet, where does one start, and how, seriously, does one begin a newsletter sending an update of life, when everything is up in the air, or in transit in some way or another. While things have been steady, they have been steady in their ‘in transit-ness’, so it has been a matter of waiting to see how things fell into place.

So, the following will be a bit of an update, and summary of what life is looking like for me now post-in-transit!

College
Returning to Sydney to study Counselling at Wesley Institute was the reason for my leaving Hong Kong, so the last few months has found me with my head in a lot of books trying to make head and tale of the study of Theology, and Psychology, and how they work together, integrate, relate to each other, and to each of our lives! It has been great to read books from different perspectives, and my eyes have been opened to the needs that are out there, and attitudes towards people who are struggling. Reading of experiences, and the theory of mental illness and the spectrum they encompass has been challenging, and I have been reminded again, and again of just what complicated people we are!

Last year in Hong Kong, with the children, we watch a DVD by Louis Giglio called Indescribable, which compares outer Space, and the Human body, looking at their complexities, and on the other hand, just how much more there is to learn of each, and wow, it is amazing! I have come to a new appreciation of both over the last few months! College has been far more challenging, and in depth as I have struggled to settle back into study again, and come to grips with new understandings and concepts far beyond any I had learned in this area over the last few years. Semester 1 is nearly over though, so I look forward to a break, and diving back into it all in the new year.

Home
Home has been fun, fun, and more fun! I have moved to Cremorne to live with my sister, her husband and 2 children, which has been a delight! While I wake up earlier and earlier, it is a house full of joy, and I love being there! We all moved into a lovely big house together which is in a beautiful part of Sydney, and I am enjoying the thrill of living near one of my favourite beaches (Balmoral!) and being able to walk to the harbour.. amazing!Sunday
It has been lovely to find, and join a place of like minded believers close to home, and it it’s not too hot(as I found out the hard way, last week!!!), I can walk there from home. I have joined a mid week group that has been refreshing and challenging, as well as the Christmas Choir- we will be singing Carols under the Harbour Bridge next Sunday (21 December), so if you are close by, it should be an absolute treat! There will be lots of activities from 5pm, so bring a picnic, and come and enjoy some Christmas cheer, and the beautiful harbour!

Work
Work has, this last semester, been, quite literally on again, off again, but I am now settled into a full time job for the Summer holidays, working for an organisation called Care and Share. One of the reasons why I am there though, is to work with their new fair trade department. I have been so excited about this role, and being able to pass on some of what I have learned while in Hong Kong! My immediate boss has been to meet the people I worked with in HK twice this year now, and LOVES it! It has been a real gift to see how this connection has been made, and how all the details, including a ride, with a good friend who lives close by!

Thank you for your care, and grace as I have walked these days, for some, been unreasonably silent, and sought to work out what life is, and looks like here and now!

MUCH love to you all!

2 comments:

somewhere_smiling said...

Wonderful to read chookiebabe! Hope you have an amazing Christmas with your family and really do hope we can catch up in person in 2009 ~ loads of love ~ Me

Miwa in HK said...

Ahh, to see you in person:)Now that WOULD be awesome!!!:) Will have to make it happen:) Love you loads!:)