Sunday, January 06, 2013

Birthday present for Jesus




It’s that time of year, of finishing the year, and getting ready for the new one. One of the things that also happens is Christmas, and of that, lots of present buying. I’m not overly great at birthday presents, but Christmas, more or less, is great fun and I love the whole Christmas present buying fun. The whole process of buying Christmas gifts for people differs according to the person, reason for buying, what might be a blessing to them. For others you buy from the heart, not out of a practical nature-those are the most fun. As part of that too, there’s a birthday present for Jesus, and that’s pretty fun, because you can only give from the heart there, so that makes it particularly challenging. How do you give someone something who doesn’t want for anything, who can’t receive anything physical?!?

So, in the last couple of months as I have pondered what to get, one verse has kept returning to me in different ways. And as God has reframed a few things for me recently, it seems like the right thing to give.

Matthew 6: 20-21

But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

When I have been thinking of this passage, 1 Corinthians 13 comes to mind again, and the place of relationships, both here and now, and into eternity.

So, am giving my treasure, my loves, and the way I love in all its good, hope, good intentions, faith, mistakes and imperfections, misguidedness and redemption. That God will  use it and hold it redeemed and untangled.

I know I am going to need lots of tangible reminders too, more than the little collection I currently have above, so bring on the year of tangible love, the more unusual the reminder, the better:)

No comments: