Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Palms facing up!


'I used to think clinched fists would help me fight better, but now I know they make me weaker'

I read an awesome book last week, which, in hindsight felt almost like 31 blog posts, reflections on different ways of living out love in a practical all out there kinda way. Challenging, thought provoking, inspiring.

One of his chapters talks about his 'official work' that fundraises for all the other work he does. Involving depositions and lots of lawyering, it can be places for rather short tempers. In those situations he makes his clients sit with their hands palm up the whole time when they are being questioned- literally. He's found that when you keep your palms up it's easier to keep calm, honest and accurate... and hard to be defensive, angry or make mistakes....it's about living a very different paradigm.

In church, we often have our palms up in worship, and it's a safe place, because we know Jesus only has good things for us (no matter what life might look like at the time), and yet I know of too many times when I haven't had my palms up literally or figuratively in life outside that context.

To live in a way believing that there was nothing we could lose if we had him, of being strong enough to be vulnerable, even when wronged, knowing that we have nothing to hide, to gain or to lose...something to aspire to, something to live for. The paradigms shift yet again, and the balance seems so 'off' to what it feels we are told life should be like, and yet, that's the way Jesus always is. Changes our paradigms, and sets a new standard.

I have so far to go yet before I think I will get there, and well, won't ever get there in my own strength, but for now, will be 'palms up' far more often and intentionally, knowing that while it shows very empty hands I have nothing to lose when I am with him.






No comments: