Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Silent vs silence

I was reminded tonight of why I started a blog in the first place.... in some circumstances, times, with certain people and contexts, I have absolutely nothing to say, and am, to all extents, completely silent. It may not be because I have nothing to say- far from it, but because of whatever is happening, I have absolutely no desire to share!


As a person though, who is far more comfortable being silent and listening to others, it's always an interesting situation when I suddenly find myself in a place where I am the one doing all the speaking... and communicating, though. Of being the one listened to. One such examle of recent times has been in interviews (eugh!). It's funny being on the other side of the silence barrier, and wondering what on earth the silence means. Sometimes it's a comfortable silence, and other times it's really not. And at other times again- I just can't 'read' the silence. Most of all though, it makes me wonder what people think of the times when I am silent, or just listening.

That said though, it was an interesting weekend last weekend, when I spent 4 days with 2 different groups of people, almost completely unknown to me.... and I had almost completely lost my voice, and was therefore forced into silence..!:)

No comments: