Thursday, December 13, 2007

Preparing for Christmas

You know when you have so much to say that you just can't say any of it? that's about how it is right now... Funny, frustrating, exciting, random, good, strange days that we have!

Anyway, tonight we were talking about Christmas, and were challenged to think of one thing that has really made Christmas special to us.

Now, I have grown up looking forward to Christmas, I always loved it, the end of the school yeah, Christmas concerts, Festival of the nine lessons, Carols, etc. I was thinking back over the memories again, and a few things stuck out to me.

I love the simplicity of Christmas, the celebration of Jesus' birthday, not just of God with us, but God, coming in and dwelling in amongst his people, not in pomp and splendor (though, yes it was splendid!), but it was simple, quiet, in a tiny town, with God's people close by, people quiet in the still of night looking after their sheep and doing what they should be doing. God comes and meets his people where they are at, so much so, that much of the time, they don't even recognize him!

I also love the picture of the Angels, of the whole thing being of joy and praising God, of giving thanks to him and who he is, and celebrating something all people can celebrate- the birth of a precious baby!

We can so easily get sick Christmas, but I tend to think that that's our loss.. it's stolen from us! There is so much to be blessed by in remembering and celebrating this time, so hope in these weeks, we all see something new and fresh in this birthday!

2 comments:

Nic said...

Was this post aimed specifically at me? ;)
sounds like I missed a good night, wish I had been there. wish I wasn't awake right now, but was instead fast asleep! :(

Miwa in HK said...

Noooo! We were thinking tonight about what makes Christmas special, so thought I would share some more. I know a few people who don't like Christmas I think is really sad, because it is such a special time to celebrate and it gets lost in the busyness, commercial side of it and we can so easily lose the beauty of this time. And yes, you are one of the people I know who doesn't like Christmas, but just one:) You did miss a good night though:) Be well:)