Monday, January 28, 2008

Waiting for....

There are times when it feels like I am still waiting for life to start, which is a slightly terrifying thing at my age(!).... but there are things I feel like I am waiting for, things to fall into place, so that everything else will fall in line, events to happen, things to add up... Some things are seen, and some things aren't but there is still that sense of waiting for things to happen

We have been doing a sermon series on James at church over the last few months, and it's just great! I have always loved the book of James, as there is so much in there, and so many practical things for each of us, no matter where we are in life. But my eye was caught by the word patience a few weeks ago, so have been mulling over James 5: 7-9 for some time now, just thinking through how it might apply in different situations.

Be patient, then, brothers until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. You too, be patient and stand firm because the Lord's coming is near.

I am reminded too, of the seasons, in nature, where every season has a purpose, including winter, where, in general nothing grows. But that doesn't mean that it's dead, or inactive. Even that time has purpose to it, much like a farmer leaving a field to lie fallow for a time, to rest, and restore nutrients to it, so it can bear even more fruit, and grow much better, because of the time of rest.

There are some things too, that I am waiting for, and the funny thing is, that if I try to make them happen, they won't actually be what I am waiting for, so therefore I am stuck! I would dearly love them to happen, but if I have any active hand in them, it will transform them into something I don't want to be..... so once again, I am glad I can leave them safely in the Master Gardener's hands, knowing they are safe and well there, and if it happens, it will happen at just the right time and in his way (not just because I would like it to happen!).

So, I am encouraged that God's timing is perfect, that he knows the big HUGE picture of what is going on. He has everything timed to absolute perfection:)

Hmm.. God's timing.. that's a whole other post right there!

No comments: