Sunday, July 13, 2008

Logical vs Illogical

I had been thinking a bit recently about making decisions and the different ways we do that. Listening to a talk the other day, the person speaking was saying that people of the Jesus' culture didn't actually think logically, as we do, rather they think optically.

I was listening to another talk today, and they said a similar thing! I need to listen to it again, but was so encouraged by it. We often thing of different things that are happening, and there are different responses we can make- we can kick and scream and say 'it's not fair', or we can knuckle down, and draw deep on God's love and promises and hold fast to them, our assurance that God is in control, and loves us, delights in each of us, in a way that's beyond our wildest imagination. Depending on the situation, of course, too!

I was thinking about a decision I thought I had made some time ago. It was clear and 'there'. Then I came back to Aus, and the cold hard light of logic and reality set in, and as always(it seems!), I wavered, yet, after this last week, I wonder if I am once again back where I started, and returning to that decision and the reason why I made it in the first place.. well... that hasn't changed at all. It's just not a very logical decision, yet that doesn't mean that it's not right..! And I guess, even in wavering, it gives me a chance to really be sure... even if I do end up looking a little silly as I wander along!

No comments: