Sunday, December 02, 2012

Honour and Respect

I have come across a couple of comments today about Honour and Respect over the last day or so which have really stood out to me.

Honour is a step above respect... you can respect someone without honouring them, but you can't honour someone you don't respect? Brian Houston

And in a note that Bobbie Houson published this evening...

Honour is never silent
Respect can be silent/passive
Honour is felt
Honor goes the second mile

I have seen honour lived out a bit. In occasional marriages of people I know, or know of, and amongst christian leaders on Social media and via talks I have heard. It's pretty amazing to see, to see one person talk consistently and intentionally about another, of putting them forward and encouraging each other in pursuing the gifts and talents God has given them within the place they have been given to live in, whether it's in leadership, or wherever.

I love seeing both lived out, because they can seem so rare, but are such an awesomely beautiful thing to behold, and hope that I can live both out more and more, no matter where I am, who I am with and what values others might hold. I think of times when I don't respect or honour another, and it would be when I feel unsafe, or have been hurt, or am afraid of something, being judged, not heard or not valued in some way, and that phrase once again comes to mind- 'keep your love on'. Of holding on to the positive perspective in a situation, of choosing to love the person even though it's hurting to do so. Because it will all be ok in the end, even though it doesn't feel like it in the moment, and ultimately we don't know what the big picture is.

Bring on more love, respect and honour, of new ways of encouraging and equipping others to live in the fullness of all they have been made to be, of living hearing God's perspective of who they are and how they are loved!:) There's room for all!!

No comments: