Sunday, April 15, 2007

What's in a name...

Once upon a time, a very long time ago, a little boy in London decided to rename me ‘Miwa’! It was a very funny conversation, and he was in a lovely joyful mood, however the name stuck!

When I moved to HK and was looking to get a Chinese name, I asked if perhaps Miwa could be incorporated into the name. At the time it couldn’t because it wasn’t a known or recognised name, however, yet again the name stuck, so I am now called Miwa here! Some weeks ago a Chinese friend asked me how I came to have that name, and I explained it to her. I asked her why and she said it was a very old Chinese name! Amazing!

I was at a party last night, and another friend commented on the name, saying that she knew a Japanese person whose name is…. Yup, Miwa! How amazing is that!

And yup, it has meanings and everything! What a special gift- my original name, and this newer name too!

No comments: