Saturday, March 10, 2007

Labels

I don’t like labels, or name tags, or wearing defining logos. Even hearts (though I have been given some lovely ones that I wear), the peace sign, smiley faces, can be a struggle. Wearing a work name tag… generally doesn’t happen (Sorry, I know it should!!), and other times when I need to wear something that ‘label’ me in some way just doesn’t ‘sit well’ with me.

I got thinking about this back in January when I went to church, and for the first time there, I was supposed to wear a name tag, and not only that, I knew that in the whole church, I was going to be the only person to wear this particular name tag as all the others were away for the weekend (I couldn’t go:( ). Needless to say, I could see the point of the name tag, in this case, and in all the other cases.

I did start to wonder why I don’t like wearing name tags though, why don’t I like wearing labels, is it the idea of being defined by that label, or not living up to it? Or is it that it doesn’t encompass everything about me? I do like the label ‘Christian’ though, but that’s a pretty comprehensive label, that one doesn’t live up to, earn, merit, but…. Has, you either are or you aren’t….

Something to ponder some more…:)

No comments: