Monday, March 19, 2007

Living in the sweet places of life...

I read an awesome book while I was in Australia- “Cure for the common life”, by Max Lucado. I have loved it, and continue to go back, revisit and be challenged by all it has to say about life and all God has given us. I would love to include a few excerpts, but essentially, think we should all read it sometime!

It’s about living in our sweet spot. God has given each of us unique gifts and talents, something in out lives that makes us soar for sheer joy, to feel the exhilaration of doing we love for God’s glory. I have been so blessed, looking back, to do jobs that I have loved, that have been clearly God’s plan for that season, and this book was a confirmation to me of where I should be. I am sometimes held back, by wondering if others agree/approve that I really should be doing whatever it is I am doing, or learning to do….. but I guess when it comes down to it, God knows, and I am here to please Him.

So to Max…!
**********************
What about you? Our Maker gives assignments to people, “to each according to each one’s unique ability” (Matt 25:15). As he calls, he equips. Look back over your life. What have you consistently done well? What have you loved to do? Stand at the intersection of your affections and successes and find your uniqueness.

You have one. A divine spark. An uncommon call to an uncommon life. “The Spirit has given each of us a special way of serving other” (1 or 12:7, CEV). So much for the excuse “I don’t have anything to offer”. Did the apostle Paul say, “the spirit has given some of us…”? Or, “The spirit has given a few of us…”? No. “The Spirit has given each of us a special way of serving others.” Enough of this self-deprecating “I can’t do anything”
And enough of its arrogant opposite: “I have to do everything.” No, you don’t! You’re not God’s solution to society, but a solution in society. Imitate Paul, who said, “Our goal is to stay within the boundaries of God’s plan for us”(2Cor 10:13NLT). Clarify your contribution.
Don’t worry about the skills you don’t have. Don’t covet strengths others do have. Just extract your uniqueness. “Kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you”(2 Tim 1:6 NASB).

For now, here is the big idea:
Use your uniqueness (what you do)
To make a big deal out of God (why you do it)
Every day of your life (where you do it)
********************

What an amazing God we have!

No comments: