Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Keep your love on

One of my favorite speakers is Danny Silk, from yes, Bethel in Redding, California. One day I will get there, but till then, I will go to as many conferences as I can when they are here and listen to their weekly talks online.

He and his wife are strong advocates for family life, and creating a culture of honour. I have read his book, Culture of Honour a couple of times now, and been to the conference- which gave a whole other perspective.

With creating that culture of Honour, and working with children, a big element is maintaining the love connection, even when one person stuffs up, whether big time, or little, how do you maintain the love and relationship connection?? It's pretty awesome how he explains it, and how you see it lived out with different people. I know that when I am in contact with people who live it out, it's always, well, almost jarring, it's so surprising, and safe, refreshing, and they are easily some of the people I most enjoy spending time with.

I was listening again to one of Danny's recent talks, and he was talking about being fierce, and how one lives like that. He described Fierce as 'untamed bravery'- it's the over and above, stepping out beyond yourself, your insecurities and 'can'ts' to love others beyond yourself, your concept what you can do, for their benefit, whatever that might be.

So often it's when we're afraid, or feeling unsafe that our love 'comes off', that we become afraid, and act out of a place of fear, self preservation, protection and defensiveness, which can have a hugely negative effect on the relationship. So, keeping your love on even when you're scared can be a challenge. It's a hugely vulnerable place to be, but pretty awesome when you realise you're in a safe place too!! So, working hard to keep my love on at the moment, even when I don't understand and I don't feel safe- though it's been so worth it in a few situations!!:)

No comments: