Thursday, October 18, 2012

Seeing through a glass darkly



I still give a Chistmas present to Jesus each year, and this, for 2011, was mine. It's funny, as you come up to the time when a gift is due, and you start thinking about it early enough to get just what you want. In this case, it took a while longer and took a trip around the world.

As I came to this year, there was alot that was going to be new. I was stepping out of a few things, and into a new unknown. Looking back, it's been good. I was struck by the concept of what's in each of our hands. I was looking at mine again, and there's nothing there, but as I had thought about the Christmas gift for last year, I loved the visual of a Christmas decoration being held, but one that was glass, and you could only see through partially. 

I love the imagery of seeing through a glass darkly, and so often that's what we do here. We don't fully see, or understand, or comprehend the bigger picture, but trust (or try very hard to!) the One who has it all complete in himself.

Having to hunt around for the passage for a bit, and finding it in 1 Corinthians 13:12..
Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. (NIV)

But then, the KJV is pretty awesome too.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

I loved the picture, because there is much in my hands (even if I don't see it), but my role is to use what I have, and while I can only see and understand partially what it's all about, that's ok.

And yes, being October, time to start thinking about what my gift will be for this year!:)

No comments: